The Fine Print

I cook Gluten Free, but hardly anything you find here will be my own creation. I use recipes from other sources and make them my own. I don't remember where most of my recipes came from....so if you read a recipe that sounds very similar to something you've created, Thanks! I just might have gotten it from you and my family and our taste buds thank you.

I cook Gluten Free, but I'm not a gourmet chef or a still-life photographer. Gourmet foods and super fancy pictures of them are not things you will find here.

I cook Gluten Free, but I don't do things just one way. Some times my recipes are naturally gluten free and sometimes they are made that way by use of gluten free flours. Some times I purposefully make things more nutritious and other times I'm just going for super delicious.

If you're looking for every day foods to make for you and your family, then stay awhile. You may find something you like.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sourdough Biscuits

My 1st grader went on a field trip today to 'Pioneer School.' They are spending the day having school in a one room school house. Yesterday, a counselor at the school helped the kids make sourdough biscuits and homemade butter to take with them today. Of course, made with wheat flour, so Sidney asked me to make her some sourdough biscuits to take with her. Luckily, I already had some sourdough starter 'started'. If you've never made starter, you should. It's easy (and wierdly fun to 'feed' and 'grow' your own little pet) and is a great and versatile ingredient. There are different kinds of starters. I'm still learning. This one is made with whole milk, yeast, rice flour, and water. It can be made yeast and milk free, though. I will do a separate post about how to start your starter. Today, here's how I made sourdough biscuits. Moist, flakey, and melt-in-your mouth yumminess!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup Gluten Free Flour (I used Brown Rice)
8 TBSP unsalted butter, diced
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
1cup freshly fed sourdough starter
1/2 cup milk at room temparature

Combine Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt, & Xanthan gum in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry cutter (or knives). Add starter and mix. Add milk slowly---just until you've made a soft, but not sticky dough. You may not use all of the milk.

Using a 12 hole muffin tin, divide the dough equally into the tin. Flatten the dough a bit to fit flatly in the hole. Let sit, covered, for about 10 minutes. Preheat Oven to 425 during this time. Bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment