The Fine Print

I cook Gluten Free, but hardly anything you find here will be my own creation. I use recipes from other sources and make them my own. I don't remember where most of my recipes came from....so if you read a recipe that sounds very similar to something you've created, Thanks! I just might have gotten it from you and my family and our taste buds thank you.

I cook Gluten Free, but I'm not a gourmet chef or a still-life photographer. Gourmet foods and super fancy pictures of them are not things you will find here.

I cook Gluten Free, but I don't do things just one way. Some times my recipes are naturally gluten free and sometimes they are made that way by use of gluten free flours. Some times I purposefully make things more nutritious and other times I'm just going for super delicious.

If you're looking for every day foods to make for you and your family, then stay awhile. You may find something you like.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Hawaiian Haystacks




The first time I was introduced to Hawaiian Haystacks, I thought they were SO WEIRD. Turned out they are SO YUM! My kids love, love, LOVE them and request that I make Haystacks for dinner at least once a week. I went to a church function recently where Haystacks were served (perfect buffet style meal). I prepared and brought my own Gluten Free Sauce to share with another Gluten Free friend. It seems everyone has their own preferred toppings for Haystacks, but this is how we do it at our house....

Chicken Hawaiian Haystack Sauce

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
1 chicken breast (about a 1/2 pound) cubed
3 TBSP brown rice flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup hot water
2 bouillon cubes
1 cup heavy cream or half & half
1 TBSP Sherry cooking wine (optional)
Freshly ground pepper

Melt butter in a saucepan and sauté chicken until cooked through, breaking up chicken cubes to more a shred if desired. Dissolve bouillon cubes in the water to make a broth. Combine rice flour, xanthan gum, salt, and cream. Gradually whisk in cream, sherry, and chicken broth to chicken and butter mixture, whisking constantly until thickened. Sprinkle with ground pepper.

Serve over rice with desired Hawaiian Haystack toppings. We top with pinapple tidbits, black olives, green onions, slivered almonds, celery, cheese, and coconut. Our gluten eaters finish theirs off with chinese noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment